Total Pageviews

Monday 18 May 2015

How to: Write comfortably for a substantial amount of time.





Hello There,

As a writer I know that writing for hours on end, no matter how hard you try can sometimes be unbearable and so I decided to write down the unwritten rules for comfort when writing for a substantial amount of time.



Firstly: Plan what your going to write. If your going to be writing for 3+ hours it is often a good idea to plan what your going to write, whether it be a detailed step by step paragraphed one or just some basic bullet points to stop your mind from racing too much. As you can see by the picture above, I am not a detailed planner and usually don't plan at all but I have come to realised that planning is a vital part.

Secondly: Drinks. It's super important to stay hydrated and honestly I am very bad at keeping hydrated. Keep a drink of your choice with you at all costs which will essentially make you want to drink it. I personally have been enjoying warm drinks but any beverage will do.

Thirdly: I feel like where you write is often overlooked but can play a large part in the way and the quality of your writing. I personally try to sit at a desk or table if possible as this gives your writing time a more structured feel. I like to keep the space around me as clear as I can and have no distracting noises such as televisions or social media. I also like to sit in front of a window with a good view as this can help inspire your writing.

Fourthly- Take regular breaks. Whilst I'm sure you, much like myself can get caught up with writing it is important to take breaks every hour to relieve your eyes from the strain of a laptop or monitor. Whether you go on a short walk, visit a friend for a coffee or even just sit and read a book for a quarter of an hour, your head and mind with thank you for it.

Lastly: Have fun. If you're writing something that you don't want to write its going to get tedious and you're more likely to give up. Obviously some parts of all writing can become boring and we have to grin and bare it.

Quick tip: I find that listening to certain types of music can help you write better. Say if you're writing a fight scene, songs with strong base lines can often help you get across the motion better.

Quick Shameless Self Promotion Monday:
 I just began writing a new book which I did give you a sneak peak of in my previous post. I finally decided to upload and publish it on the writing website that I enjoy to write on and the book is tagged below:
Until Then
xo

No comments:

Post a Comment